NFPA-4(15) Standard for Integrated Fire Protection and Life Safety System Testing
NFPA 4: Standard for Integrated Fire Protection and Life Safety System Testing works with NFPA 3 for systematic testing and documentation of the communication between systems.
New NFPA 4: Standard for Integrated Fire Protection and Life Safety System Testing provides the minimum requirements for integrated testing and documentation prior to building occupancy and during a building's lifecycle. Developed to work hand-in-hand with NFPA 3: Recommended Practice for Commissioning of Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems, this new Standard is invaluable to the Integrated Testing Agent (ITa) as well as other stakeholders in the testing process.
NFPA 4 provides testing requirements for both new and existing systems to ensure that integrated fire protection and life safety systems operate as intended.
Built around requirements formerly located in NFPA 3's Chapter 7, Integrated System Testing, this first-time NFPA® Standard includes the protocol for testing procedures, responsibilities of team members, methods, and documentation for verifying the operational readiness and sequence of integrated systems. While the Standard does not mandate integrated testing, it provides minimum requirements for integrated testing where such testing is required by another code, standard, or design document or by an AHJ. The Standard does not address testing protocol, procedures, or frequencies for individual systems.
NFPA 4 has comprehensive chapters on:
- Administration, referenced publications, and definitions
- General requirements including fundamental principles, integrated system testing team responsibilities and qualifications, and the test plan
- Test methods, issues logs, and corrective action reports
- Test frequencies including separate provisions for Initial Integrated Systems Test, Periodic Integrated Systems Testing, and Existing System Modifications
- Annexes A and B with explanatory material and a Sample Integrated Test Plan
NFPA 4 backs up NFPA 3 with comprehensive and detailed provisions for fieldwork.
It covers all the procedures, methods, responsibilities, and documentation required to ensure integrated testing is done correctly, in any building regardless of age and designated use. (Softbound, 45 pp., 2015)