ASM Handbook Volume 18: Friction, Lubrication, and Wear Technology has been designed as a resource for basic concepts, methods of laboratory testing and analysis, materials selection, and field diagnosis of friction, lubrication, and wear problems. The goal is to enable engineers, designers, and technical personnel to select "the right tool for the right job."
The sections on solid friction, lubricants and lubrication, and wear and surface damage contain basic, tutorial information that helps introduce the materials-oriented professional to established concepts in tribology. The Handbook is also intended for use by individuals with a background in mechanics or lubricant chemistry and little knowledge of materials.
- Solid Friction--introduction, basic theory, frictional heating calculations, lab testing methods for solid friction, measuring and modeling during metal forming.
- Lubricants and Lubrication--liquid lubricants, lubrication regimes, lubricant additives and their functions, solid lubricants (grease), applications.
- Wear--wear by particles or fluids, by rolling/sliding/impact, chemically-assisted wear, monitoring and diagnosis.
- Laboratory Characterization Techniques--characterization of roughness and wear scar dimensions, microscopy, micromechanical properties, thermal/chemical/x-ray methods.
- Systematic Diagnosis of Test Data--basic tribological parameters, design of experiments, presentation of data, concepts of reliability and failure modes.
- Friction and Wear of Components--bearings/gears/seals, transportation system components, industrial and mining machinery, medical and dental materials, electrical contacts, semiconductors.
- Materials for Friction and Wear Applications--ferrous and nonferrous metals and alloys, ceramics and composites, carbon-base materials and polymers.
- Surface Treatments and Coatings--surface finishes and patterned surfaces, thermal spray coatings, electroplated coatings, PVD and CVD coatings, ion implantation, laser surface processing, carburizing, nitriding.
Publisher: ASM International
Editor: Peter J. Blau | Hardcover | Product code: 06185G | ISBN: 978-0-87170-380-4